In Utah, we are able to experience rain, snow, heat and cold all within a 24 hour period. It is important to perform regular seasonal maintenance to protect your investment from the elements. Although it may seem daunting, most can be done quickly at and without spending too much money. Here are some great ways to save money doing fall maintenance.
- Caulk: Although it seems to have a fairly cheap price tag, it can save you thousands in the long run. Make sure the windows and doors on the property are sealed well. Small gaps or holes can result in cracks and mold from water getting in and freezing.
- Gutters: We are fortunate enough to live in a beautiful area. Unfortunately, there are a lot of tree's and debris that get stuck in gutters and downspouts causing big concern and damages, such as ice damming, flooding, and leaks. Make sure to clean out the gutters at least every 2 years to keep your property in tip top shape!
- A/C Units & Swamp Coolers: Don't forget to have these winterized before it is too late. The expense of repairing them come next spring is extensive. A little precaution goes a long way!
- Weather Stripping: Fall is a great time to check the weather stripping around the doors at your property. Air leaks can cause the heating system to work overtime when your tenants crank up the heat to stay warm. Drafty spots can usually be fixed quickly with little effort and save you and your tenants money!
- Animal/Pest Proofing: With the cold weather moving into the state, the rodents and pests tend to move indoors. Walk around your property and check for any holes or gaps where they can get inside. Sealing those up now, will prevent unwanted house guests, and the damage they bring, in the future.
- Outdoor Pipes: A flood is never much fun, but freezing temperatures can make it even worse. Start now to winterize any of the outdoor water lines to avoid frozen pipes. Double check for any crack or leaks now, your tenants will thank you!